Friday, April 25, 2014

S-Waver

             

              I'm so into the River to Sea S-Waver, lately, I barely use anything else. I bring tons of lures with me but I always end up starting and ending with one on the line. Since you can almost steer it on the retrieve, it's fun to use. Well maybe not "steer" but alter the length of the "S" either tight or wide. So when retrieving past an object, you can make it swerve at it, away from it, or just buzz it close by. Once you get the hang of it, you can visualize its movements even when you can't see it. With It's almost suspending, slow sink, action it takes on a life of its own. 

I didn't "get" the lure at first and had zero confidence that a fish would even like the action. I thought it might be another lure that catches fisherman, but not fish. But I would keep hearing about people who love them, so I kept putting time in it. Though I did manage to get a few fish to strike, they would miss it right as it was coming out of the water for the next cast. When I finally checked it out in my pool, I realized I was going a little too fast. Being a hard bait, I assumed it was like a Crankbait and expected a little vibration resistance from the tail. And to achieve that, you're going too fast. But just by memorizing the optimum reel speed you just gotta trust and visualize what it should be doing until you can get a feel for it. Go as slow as possible without losing its slalom. I'll use more stops and pauses in a Swimbait retrieve, as opposed to jerks or twitches, because of the slow and steady nature of a SB. 

I made a custom top hook version where a magnet holds a treble hook on the back of the bait, in the spot where the dorsal fin would protrude. And by doubling some 40 lb. knotted braid, the hook is secured to the front line tie. I use some "Mend it" on the knots to keep everything tight and perfectly aligned. I remove the two bottom trebles but leave the split rings on and add a small piece of lead tape. This keeps it from becoming top heavy and rolling side to side. The hollow plastic, bottom weighted body, keeps it upright on the fall and at rest. With the hook on top, it can now be fished on the bottom, Probing, tailing, pausing. It's got an action all it's own.  I still would like to improve upon the top hook somehow.

I've read that no two S-Wavers swim the same. I'd have to agree. Some just seem to be a little livelier than others. My best swimmer happens to be the bone white model. I think that the more cosmetic components each version requires in its finish,   adds a bit more weight, dulling the action ever so slightly. I could be wrong but in my collection it seems that the bone, Bluegill, rainbow trout, sexy shad, and then abalone, swim in that order. So the less paint that is used the lighter and livelier the action seems to be. I'll know more when I get a new bone one.  Mine's getting well worn and beat up. We'll see if the new one swims the same. Perch is another favorite. The gold seems to work well around here. Perhaps it mimics a Grass Carp.

Giron is a glide bluegill that is proving to be a deadly bait. If retrieved too fast it doesn't swim right and It's hard to keep down in the water column. You just have to go hella slow. Stopping during a retrieve, to let it sink, has been triggering vicious strikes lately. I don't mention this lure too much. It's not very popular and I'd like to keep it that way. Post spawn, I'll likely have this tied on before I go. It's been that deadly.

The new 8" Wavers come out this month! I ordered the perch and the ararari (?) it looks like a carp or koi with that Japanese touch.
Got the new 8" it's not exactly the same. The joint is different. It's big and heavy (3 1/2 oz.) it waves good but the weight keeps it from suspending like the 6. Still a cool bait. More on this after I've got some time into it.

I picked up a Savage Gear glide bait. I don't think its as good as the S Waver. It looks good and has rattles but Fish don't seem to like em. I'd recommend passing on this bait. Stick with the Waver.

I'm starting to like fishing with braid using an s-waver. The floating aspect helps it suspend, which lends itself to super slow retrieves. You can't have your drag set too tight or you'll straiten out hooks. Upgrade the hooks the first chance you get. You won't regret it. Wave on!


No comments:

Post a Comment