Monday, May 11, 2015

Tuning a Hudd

How to tune a Hudd. (Copied from some site)

I don’t know about you but from time to time when I started using a new Huddleston Deluxe, either the 8 inch or 6 inch version sometimes they won’t run true. Recently I had a friend express the same concern with the 6 inch version asking me if I knew how to correct the problem. I decided to go straight to the source so I gave Ken Huddleston a call to ask him his opinion. First off let me say that Ken is a standup guy, he has a wealth of information and is very willing to help.

Of course you know there are 2 different versions of the Hudd, Weedless and Exposed Hook and they are tuned differently.

On the weedless version there is an air pocket in the top that keeps it buoyant. It is close to the hook “Slit” and what can happen is the hook can puncture this pocket allowing water to get in and throw its balance off. To remedy this squeeze any water out and allow to dry. Look for a hook hole around pocket and put in a drop of Mend It or use some Huddlebond to seal the hole thereby not allowing water to enter and keeping it buoyant, allow to dry, presto, problem solved.

For the exposed hook version there is an internal lead weight on the underside. What you want to do is hold the Hudd by holding the bend in the hook, feel for the lead down towards the bottomn under the hook. Look at the picture below and you can see the lead weight I’m talking about, its on the bottom. The thing towards the top of the lure is a hard foam that acts as a ballast. If your Hudd is running to the left bend the lead VERY SLIGHTLY to the left, yes opposite of how you tune a crankbait. Test it out and repeat as needed, he stressed to me that they do not take very much to adjust them so be sure to make very minor adjustments at a time. This tuning technique works for both the 6 inch and 8 inch versions

I have had people tell me to boil them to get them to run true, according to Ken, boiling them works if your baits are slightly warped, especially the tail. The main reasons for warped baits is because they are generally stored wrong, hanging on your rod in the rod locker for a week or not being placed flat when storing them. I know I had a weedless one that was attached to a rod for a week and the line guide on the rod pressed against the bait and it took the form of the guide, after which it didn’t run true. Ken said to tie a line or wire to the hook eye and dip them into the boiling water for about 30 seconds then hang to dry at room temperature. After I did this and the Hudd ran great without any tracking issues.

There ya go, straight from the man, hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment